Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Accidents in Hong Kong

[ and it hasn't even been a month!]

-I enter a superstore, find my way around. As usual, I don't know what I want to buy - I will try to find out what I can buy. After a bit of roaming around, and very little shopping, I seek my way out. And then the trouble begins. The rows are circuitous and that smell of fish and other slimy sea creatures makes me a little dazed. I ask an employee and he seems to only half understand. He points towards the big escalator, and up there I go. Before I get off the escalator, I realise that I have just reached where I was 5 mins back. Then I ask the security guard, and she points me down the same big escalator. I go down. Meet the fellow again, who this time insists that I go UP the same escalator. I try to look around and happen to go near the office area and this makes the fellow nervous. Then he comes near and shows some sign which I take for money. I show him the bill and he apologetically shows me the way. Didn't know 'exit' is not a commonly understood word in Hong Kong.
-I am sleepy in the night, and the weather is warm. I take off my shirt and throw it. In the morning I put a 'Please make up my room' display on the door when I leave. In the evening, I can't find the t-shirt. I do my best looking around. I still can't find it. Then I remember - last night the t shirt landed on top of the lamp. Perhaps there is a signal in Chinese custom to put the clothes you want to throw off on top of your lamp? By the way, I am still looking around.
-You go to an electronic store, looking for a small item. The shopkeeper says 190. You think it is too high a prize, try to bargain. You bring the price to 150, by doing the trick of going away without buying. Even then, you feel suspicious. Next day you look up on ebay and find the quoted price is 70. Can I say more?
-I decide to go to Victoria peak, mostly to click some nice shots of the city and to also complete the ritual - many online tourist websites suggest the peak top as the must-visit place. I go to the ticket counter, and find around a hundred people waiting in queue. Phew. I must wait and that I do. At the top is a great view and a lot of people as I expected. I am not wearing a jacket and suddenly the temperature drops. I decide its time to go back, and go towards the embarking station. Phew. Another line, and this time I just can't seem to find its end. It goes on and on and on. After an hour of waiting, I get into the tram. Simple calculation shows there were more than 400 people in the queue ahead of me. :-O
-I get into a taxi and say, 'Macdonnell road'. The taxi driver gives a knowing nod and speeds up. On and on we go as I see that he keeps ignoring the diversions to the left that I understand must lead to my destination. At what looks like the end of the city ( in India, they put a board saying 'thank you for visiting us' at the end of city limits... here the city limit ends into south china sea) , he seems to want me to get down. I insist I will go to mcdonnell road. he turns around and traverses half of the city and I finally reach my destination. a trip of 20 bucks becomes a 75 dollar trip!

1 comment:

alpana said...

hi bro...
nice to read ur experiences.i felt as i m in hk....best was escalater exp. :)

tk cr
di