Saturday, January 19, 2008

Why?

A popular theory in the MBA circle is 'Promise less, deliver more'. As a kind of strategic undertone, I think it makes sense. But during our outbound learning experience at the start of my current job, I encountered the usage of this edict to the point where under promise seriously hampered the bidding process. Nobody even tried to bid at what they thought was a 'fair' value! I dislike this. I have seen in other aspects - some I am not prepared to disclose through this channel, and I can see through it. When the over delivery happens, the other party ends up feeling cheated. If the under promise is too low, the over delivery will not matter much. It also effectively creates a lemon market for such bids. The other party gets used to over delivery. And what happens when you genuinely want to indicate a downturn? You have to exaggerate that as well!

There is something that strikes you the first time someone who speaks Cantonese (or is it Mandarin, I don't know) calls you up on wrong number. Suppose someone calls you and it starts like this:
You: Hello
Other Party: Why?
You: Hello
Other Party: Why?
Bang.

I began to think. I began to think deeply. I couldn't figure out what I could have done to elicit such a deep question. It was as if someone was asking me why I exist. Much to my chagrin, there were a few more repetitions of this kind. It was then it struck me. Why (or rather Wai) is the Hello in Chinese. Oh. Thats why.

I stumbled (or perhaps re stumbled) upon a blog. Reading it is fun for the spicy insights it contains. Pretty much like the S** and the city. That the quality of writing is good is beyond doubt. The author has just published a short collection of shorter poems (or longer poems, I don't know) and was mentioned on ET.

Strato and I have just begun seeing uncannily frequent coincidences. Too many times, the same thoughts emerge in our minds at the same time. Well, I guess it just happens over time. I have become lazier than I was - I am content spending a weekend watching movies, eating and a short walk. Lets see how Strato changes!

No comments: