Thursday, January 18, 2007

Game Theory and Difficult Choices

When I was in third term at IIMA, and that was around a year back, I decided that I would choose the Game Theory course in 6th term if it is offered. Now I am doing that course, and apart from the sometimes confusing and sometimes soporific lectures, I am enjoying my rendezvous with GameTheory. I think it is a pretty interesting topic and it offers interesting insights. Sometimes, the game theoretic arguments lead to results that do not seem to conform to the rules of rationality as they are normally touted. Consider this game:

Two individuals are asked to write down an integer in the range 0 to 100, both inclusive. The individual who writes the smaller number gets a reward equal to his score+2. The other individual gets a reward equal to his score-2. What is the equilibrium strategy, assuming that both players are individually trying to maximise their rewards?

Here's the game theoretic answer in rot13: Obgu jvyy jevgr gjb.

A similar question was asked in the mid term exam on 15th. I think the exam was pretty interesting. Unfortunately Strato got confused and apparently goofed up. I can understand how that would feel because time and again, I have had a similar feeling. Sometimes I am left wondering if I am any good at all, if I can't read a normal English sentence properly, or if I quote 3+3 as 9. Goofups I agree, but how often? And how severe?
I guess things like one's worth are too important to be left to be judged by the number or severity of one's goof ups.

Strato also tells me that my count of slain PYTs is increasing. A scrap on orkut recently left me puzzled.
u r a great person
"my god" is the only appt thing for ur achievements
if u have time tell me how u manage all things in a bunch
dont say that 'they happen'
i really got inspired from u

And I think I saw a tinge of green on a face but everyone knows who the prized and somewhat-slain PYT is. ;)

Celine Dion: Thats the way it is
...
When you want it the most theres no easy way out
When youre ready to go and your hearts left in doubt
Dont give up on your faith
...
When you question me for a simple answer
I dont know what to say, no
...





.

No comments: