Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The second semester at IIT

By the time the second semester started, I had already made some new friends. it was a nice distraction from the slight gloominess that had appeared in the last few days.
then, according to what my wingies claim, i started going to city to meet my friends. :-)) That was a terrible one! You know, we see in those movies, how one goofs up everything one does. This was a classic example. I had an 'interest' in city, an old friend. And I wanted to meet a friend who lived close to this friend ( Please note the deliberate avoidance of gender-revealing pronouns! ). This was the last day of the first mid sem. I had also been invited to a dutch outing to city by some newly-made friends. Little did I know what I was supposed to do. I felt quite awkward, not knowing how to react and blurted out a yes. Some people claim that some subconscious emotions were at work here, but I think otherwise. Even till the last moment, I was unsure of what to do. Plus there was a small drama about another guy. These people just kataoed him so mercilessly. I was scared. Was I being an unwanted addition? Hmm, by then, my wingies asked me where I was headed to, and to avoid potential embarrassment, I said I that I was going to meet my friend in city. Of course I didn't meet my friend, and went on the treat. Spent like anything, and enjoyed pretty well. It was one of the first times that I had gone out carelessly and without any issues in mind. I just loved it.
Its a different matter altogether that being accompanied by 3 friends had had a toll on people's reactions. I was subjected to a lot of teasing and questioning :-)). Soon I caught this habit of checking my emails a little too often. And going out with my newly found friends. And spending a lot of time chatting with them!
Do I dare say some people felt neglected? ;-) I didn't like not being able to spend time with them, but I was slipping into a state where I found things out of my control. I hadn't yet learned to say 'no'. If somebody proposed a plan, it was always ok with me. Irrespective of whether I had my own plans... somehow I just couldn't say no. Due to this, I had to make a lot of excuses. That stomach ache during techkriti was a big lie. I ended up terminating my own plans abruptly though I didn't like it.
Talking of Techkriti, yeah the nose job was a pretty memorable thing. And the drama that followed! The tetanus thing- it was a brilliant prank that I almost single-handedly pulled on a new friend (with slight help from a big fat friend) was just so fundoo. I realised I could act quite well ;). One of my brothers- Akbar ended up supporting the plans without knowing he was doing this. He went to city in an ambulance, and I accompanied him in the ambulance till IIT gate. This part, me going on ambulance to city, was the most dramatic scene of the whole prank. I ended up convincing a friend that because of the bruise that I had got in my nose a few days back, I had become sick with tetanus. There was a very serious situation and I had problems opening my jaw. I went to the extent of feigning pain in the jaw. That worked sooo swiftly. My friends got so extremely worried and I extracted a treat from them. However, I soon realised that the drama also had its consequences. The news reached friends' home and I was afraid it might spiral a little too far. So I disclosed the whole truth. Inspired by the whole episode, I wrote a short and sweet poem! :-))
Second semester also brought in a lot of complacence. I thought I could score so well with studying so less in my first semester. Where's the need to study? And obviously the results gave me an appropriate answer! The course in electronics was quite interesting. Just about the only interesting course that sem. Technical Arts (TA) was another interesting thing. I so seriously screwed up in my first 2 mid sems that I had a nightmare in which I flunked that course. I really made plans about what I would say to my parents if I flunked this course... and so on. But I worked hard and scored well in the end. Such a relief.
How can I forget to speak of this another sweet friend. I got to know her over emails and the only one time I have met her, it was so so interesting... Very interesting and smart - I am one of her secret admirers. -oops, somebody just shot me. i wonder who it was!!! - anyway, we exchanged so many emails, quite unknown to most people! and talked about our dreams, our interests etc. This friendship actually grew over emails, and the one time we nicely met, it went skyrocketing. :-)
Our first hall day was also in our second sem. I called my newly made friends, and had a nice time. Both during the hall day celebrations and after it. I was treated by my eager friends with a very happy GPL ( bumps, for the uninitiated ) . And I couldnt have complained. I loved all the attention :-)) . Incidentally, our hall day fell on Feb 14th.

No comments: