Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cliches and More!

There are some cliches that have been cliche-ised that the very sound of them makes a whole sentence boring. Examples - 'as to', 'how do we go about...', 'what this is all about...', etc.
Combined with personal favorite items, they can make any serious conversation funny and vice versa. The set of personal items I have come across includes
'bhaiya ho' : this was my Math tuition teacher in class XI, and you can visualise a set of giggling boys holding on to their stomachs to prevent them from bursting every time the 'revered' phrase was spoken!
'actually' : and i guess this is actually quite a common choice. Actually!
'like as' : As a matter of fact, a slight misspelling makes it even more interesting. 'Like ass'. But my computers teacher in the computer coaching class stuck to the single s version. I think he didn't find the idea of likening everything to 'ass' so interesting after all!
A frequent question at discussion tables here is, "So how do we go about doing it?". I wonder what is wrong with the simpler version: "So how do we do it?".
One might call this nitpicking, but why not. At least I am not yet into commenting on missing colons and hyphens. Eats Shoots and Leaves is actually a very good book for people who belong to this category, actually!

The activities that lead to final placement have started. Presentations by companies, numerous interactions which are alleged to be evaluative exercises in the garb of talk-over-coffee, case contests and so on. I find some of the gimmicks ridiculous, but then its too lopsided a judgement I am making without having been at the other side of the table.

I guess life also has a way of moving in cycles. Motorcycles for some, and bicycles for some. And I just pictured myself riding a Hero Gold Cycle with a special someone seated in the front passenger seat. [And also all the jing bang of Bollywood movies in the background]
The detour apart, sometimes life moves so fast, you gasp and pant, but all you get hold of is the bhagte-bhoot-ki-langoti. Or knickers or whatever, without a judgement on the gender of the bhoot. Life at IIMA had so far been like that. Mostly. In the physical sense, the 2 years moved like 2 years always do. But there were phases when life changed its face faster than the protagonist in FaceOff. And even more beyond recognition.
Then there was a phase when things were more settled down. Everyday was like the previous or the next.
Looking back, I realise that I have just crossed a small peak. But in reality, I am in a big trough. And that is going to change real soon. Life is going to change. Unpredictably, Rapidly. Almost in an instant.
I wonder if I am equipped at all. Some possibilities actually make me shudder. I wonder how I will go about dealing with those. But we all have to.

So many of the principles we learn in economics are true in real life as well. The results that are conjectured for the 'rational human being' hold true even when applied to the irrational world of relationships. Families, friends, lovers, siblings - you name it.
Demand and supply works as well in a family as it does in the market. Of course one has to guide one's vision appropriately. If you are too freely available, you are treated differently. 'Familiarity breeds contempt' - there couldn't be a more succinct way of saying it.
People look at profit and loss in all transactions - business or interpersonal. Taken to an extreme, it can be used to explain just about any kind of love, but then it would be too encompassing a theory. And a TheoryOfEverything is for the Hawkings of the world to find. However, I strongly believe that people look out for what they gain from anything and everything - relationships, stocks, and everything else.

What do you do when every single day, the one you love kills a part of you?
Do you kill a part of them? Can you?
And what do you when a part of them is a part of you?

No comments: