Saturday, December 16, 2006

Back to apna desh...

When we boarded the flight in Frankfurt at 11 am, it was 8C outside. Slightly raining, and cold winds were blowing. And before we landed in Mumbai, the stewardess made an announcement that made my heart melt. The outside temperature in Mumbai was 28C, and this was at midnight! Even the thought of noon hours left me flinching. The sweater and jacket that I had put on were now hanging on my shoulders.
I couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome on return to apna desh!
The first thought that comes to one's mind [apart from 'Oh! so we have finally arrived' ] is , 'Oh, Mumbai airport isn't even as good as many railway stations in Germany'. True indeed. The number of shops in Cologne hauptbahnof [central station ] would put any decent sized mall in India to shame.
But this pessimism doesn't last long as you begin to imagine about the implications of your having arrived. Ah, so&so is gonna be around in 2 days. Ah, we can go to so&so place and hog. And oh, I can clear my backlog of movies, and talk to didi and bhaiya without worrying so much about the time. And finally, no more multiplying prices by 60!

Its already been 2 days since I came here. Acclimatization to the new surroundings didn't take long though. The cool air from ceiling fans, the taste of roti smeared in ghee, the not-so-odorless air, the horny cars and bikes and not having to cook before eating or wash dishes after eating!

And now, I am sitting in my room, eating sleeping and watching movies. Only few things can make life more fun, and they'll all come an eon later!

I stumbled upon this piece and I think its among the most beautiful juxtapositions of words I have ever come across:

"If there's ever a time that I should learn everything you
know, I will unlearn everything I know and start all over again.
The time shall never come when you cease to amaze me,
amuse me or excite me."

No comments: