Monday, September 11, 2006

Life in a gaaon.

Vallendar [pronounced Fa-len-der] is a quite gaaon. In the evening, after 8pm, it becomes eerily quiet. And chilling cold. So when we were coming last night, my ears froze and turned red. Thanks to the heater in the room, it was pretty warm and cozy inside.

I also attended my first lecture at WHU[pronounced Wee-Haa-Ooo]. It was a three hour session with 15 minutes break in between. But the professor here turned out to be quite easy going. People carry laptops [ they call them notebooks ] to the lecture and merrily check email and chat during the lecture! Overall, the session was interesting.
I must mention about the subtlely of German humor though. They talk in animated tones, with all the right whiffs of air, and facial expressions. Sometimes however, the joke is lost in all these efforts! Sometimes, the joke is too subtle to be of any use for brainless straightspeaking people like me!

The Indian community here is growing. The people from IIMB having arrived, we make quite a crowd at the dorm kitchen. The huge amount of curry being cooked in the big vessel is an ample proof of our healthy diets!

Here at Vallendar, I spend a lot of my time in Ghalib's room. He's a buddha friend from IIMA. I am writing all these posts from his notebook. And I also chat from his notebook. Just this evening, he started getting curious about my conversations with a particular friend.
'Kyun bey, kaun hai? Bandi hai, yeh to chamak raha hai'
I promptly renamed the friend's entry in my chat client! I also ensure that he does not put his hands on my shoulders as a friendly gesture too often. In videshi land, you never know what people might infer from that !

The German food is also quite bland. Today we had mexican rice for lunch. While it had all the appearance of a really spicy veg fried rice, alas, it turned out to be pretty bland.

Today's dinner was awesome.We cooked food for 6 people and it was better than what we get at our mess at IIMA.

Ghalib needs to work on his notebook, so I need to conclude this here.





"A wild wish has just flown from my heart to my head, and I will not stifle it though it may excite a horse laugh."

Mary Wollstonecraft
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/wollstonecraft-mary/1792/vindication-rights-woman/ch04.htm

No comments: