Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why?

Sometimes you stand on the balcony , feel the breeze brush past your hair. The chill in the air pinches your nose and creates a painful sensation in your ears. You suddenly begin to resemble a red-faced monkey sans a full-blown tail. And your mind begins to wobble.

Why on earth did this have to happen?
I mean, granted that I have more expertise in this field than the other two guys, but why did I have to be the one who ends up cutting onions before every meal we cook? Why do I have to cry before every meal?

A few thousand kilometers away, a full billion people are merrily sleeping. May be some nocturnal types [who live in some hostel or work in a call center or are on emergency duty of any kind] are awake. May be some are reading this and wondering why I wrote this.

Ye ye ye ye [ with all the animated intonations, that make it the favorite expression of joy for a typical German ! ]
I wonder why I have to go back. I wonder why I have to wonder.
Ghalib bhai's loud snoring drowns out the soft sound of my keyboard tapping. Downstairs, a group of guys are going to practice their dancing skills. My dbabble is refusing to log me in.
You get the atmosphere right.

Still I wonder. Like Arun, Amit and Raja [ my friends ]. I wonder and worry.
I wonder if it is a good idea to start experimenting with the binge sessions. Germany would be the best place to do that should I decide to go ahead. The free beer, the festive atmosphere and spirited people eager to invite me - this combination is difficult to find. It might be a good idea to drown away my thoughts in a giant vase. I mean, so what if I am only one-gulp-old. There's always a beginning and there's always an end.

I try hard to hide my thoughts behind thin veils. Some people may not like to see me change my habits. I mean, except for the one gulp I took to see what German beer [ or beer of any kind ] tastes like, and except for this rare musing, beer isn't something I would find so acceptable. Not in the normal course of things.

I feel like a dealer of vaccuum cleaners. Vacuum in, vacuum out. Someone brings in some vaccuum, someone takes away some vaccuum.
If it gets any more arbit, I promise I will jump off the window. At this time of the day, the garden lights will switch on by themselves. These Germans use engineering so ubiquitously in their lives. I mean, the lights in the corridors are timed to switch off automatically after a few mins. When you enter the WC, you have to start the light timer, and after that time, the light goes off by itself. Crazy or ingenuous?
It did cost me a lot of trouble on my first day. The WC details are best left out but you can imagine having to use a WC at midnight when its completely dark all around.

Its about time I woke Ghalib bhai up and signed off lest I write something that betrays the true mood of the day.
[ Ye ye ye , beer bars of Vallendar, here I come!]

The last perusal of this blog to ensure nothing leaks out is over.

[Sorry for treating you with this, but I like this expression!]
Takdeer mein hamari to aasmaa bhi nahi tha
Fakr se ud chale hum kate pankh liye hue.

Woh sookhi daal, hawa ke jhoke,
kab tak rokegi aakhir
Ek roz hum sabhi ud ud ker
ufaq mein kaheen chchip jayenge!

No comments: