Monday, September 11, 2006

My (mis)adventures

The auto to frankfurt has finally arrived. And I am now in Vallendar [pronounced Fa-len-der] as an exchange student at WHU [pronounced wee-ha-ooo].
Vallendar gaon is located in Koblenz shaher in Germany desh.

It has been an adventurous journey. First the journey on board Swarna shatabdi from Lucknow to New Delhi. I was hoping I would find some interesting company. And well, bad luck. Right beside me was seated a really plump man in his early forties. He had a penchant for playing games on his cellphone and in the process emitting a sequence of shrill beeps. Now that was irritating. However, he had a perfect sense of timing. Right when my patience would cross its limits, he would get bored of his game and then close the flap. Other than that, his hands were so plump, they not only covered the whole of the arm rest, they also covered some of my space. I had to recline a little away from him. Even in the cool AC environ, the thought of his hand touching mine was soooo ..well... abominable. Not to forget the regular announcements of the secretion of digestive juices inside his alimentary canal, in the form of huge loud burps. Once, he even attracted the attention of the Ticket Checker who was standing at the other end of the bogey.
The guy seated in front of me turned out to be an unfriendly chap as well. Apparently, the cover on the window pane seemed to stop him from resting his elbow on the edge of the window pane. In a more rational setting, I would have explained to him that the edge was only a few cms in width and was reclined at an angle of 80% from the vertical. But I was already half asleep. I told him I needed to sleep. But he turned out to be one stubborn fellow.
Anyway, the interruption to my slumber wasn't so bad after all. I read a few stories from Shashi Tharoor's "The 5 dollar smile". It was interesting. In fact I would rather call them simple and elegant. This guy was one hell of a child prodigy. What was I doing when I was 16? Wondering about the football like structure of C60 or the problems in relativity and so on.
Then there was also this lady seated right across me. Well, I might probably have measured upto her elbows. Most minds inside the compartment were hovering at the level of her bellybutton probably.

The journey from New Delhi to Frankfurt was equally long and painful. It was crampy. I mean economy class seats in the domestic flights must be at least 2 mts apart. In this AI flight, the only good thing was the food. The tired and hungry me had his stomach full. And I devoured every bit of butter, jam and dahi [and everything else] that was sent my way.
The old lady behind me had a problem with me reclining my chair. The airlines decided to use the movie 'Pyaare Mohan' as a tool for torture.

And the story goes on. I managed much better than I did last time. Of course the same language issues. The same schwein drie and other arcane stuff that is sooo tough to understand. And they speak it so fast that it is diffcult to make out when the words end and when the sentences begin. Thoda le-ja-woo, thoda de-ja-woo.

But I left India with a slightly bitter taste in mouth. Sweety is still perceptibly angry and there's very well little I can do about it now.
A question has been raised about how much truth there is in what I write here. Clearly, I try my best to hide identities. And I exaggerate. I mean, my parents weren't so cruel after all. And I didn't have a crush on that girl in first term. But simply talking about her didn't make any sense. And if you strain your mind, dear Sweety, you might be able to recollect that I indeed told you about her, as I did about every little thing that happened in my life then.
Anyway, even though sorry sounds too meek a word,
Sorry.
I might appear to have walked out too easily. I might appear to have been cold.
I wasn't.

Guess thats it for now.

Dhundhla saahil to kya,
manzil mushkil to kya
tanhaa yeh dil to kya...

[from movie Dor]

No comments: