Monday, October 16, 2006

Risk Aversion.

I was afraid, at times, of the unknown. But my siblings did a very good job of driving the fear out of me. They would challenge me to go and touch the big iron door which was on the other side of the lawn when it was late in the night, and the lawn was all dark. I did that a few times, and the fear simply vanished.
The same fear haunted me in another form. Having fought bitterly with a very close friend, I almost swore never to let myself feel the same for anyone. What good is it if you end up like that?
As it happened, I had another of that cycle. Close relationship, then doom.
When it ended however, I didn't think about retreating into a shell. Because by then, I knew that if I had to live my life all over again, I would choose to live all those moments exactly the way I did. The pain wasn't too much a price for the beautiful things that preceded it.
For that window of time, saat janam kurban!

Sometimes I am risk averse to an extreme. Sometimes, all of us are.
Moms refusing to send children to boarding schools, guys refusing to come clean about their crushes, fathers wary of sending daughters to hostels.
But the limited experience I have had in life tells me that so long as you are afraid of falling from the sky, you can never learn to fly. And you will never know what it could have been like. You will at best dream of flying, wake up happy and go back to sleep.

To while away some of my free time, I have started watching episodes of 'Friends'. And Gawd, ich bin liebe es !
Meanwhile, our culinary skills are diversifying and our menu list is increasing. We cooked cholle the other day, and it was good! Inshallah, one of these days, our menu list will be long enough to make the idea of opening a dhaba in vallendar gaon viable!

From 'Friends' :
[http://www.requestlyrics.com/read.php?1,637856,638058]

So no one told you life was gonna be this way

(clap clap clap clap)

Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.

It's like you're always stuck in second gear

When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year

But

I'll be there for you (when the rain starts to pour)

I'll be there for you (like I've been there before)

I'll be there for you (because you're there for me too)


-------That's the end of what they play on the show, the rest of the song as originally recorded continues------

You're still in bed at ten, but work began at eight

You burned your breakfast, so far things are going great

Your mother warned you there'd be days like these

But she didn't tell you when the world has brought you down to your knees

That

I'll be there for you (when the rain starts to pour)

I'll be there for you (like I've been there before)

I'll be there for you (because you're there for me too)


No one could ever know me

No one could ever see me

Seems you're the only one who
knows what it's like to be me

Someone to face the day with

Make it through all the rest with

Someone I'll always laugh with

Even in my worst, I'm best with you, yeah


It's like you're always stuck in second gear

When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year

But

I'll be there for you (when the rain starts to pour)

I'll be there for you (like I've been there before)

I'll be there for you (because you're there for me too

No comments: