Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Singers and Happy people

One of the tauschies here has a special way of singing while he takes his bath. Not that he is as bad as I am, but then, he is trying to reach there for suar! Now, that should be extremely unsuprising for most guys, but it becomes a little too painful to my heart when he begins to mouth some of my favorite numbers. Rather than words, I hear a garble of words that makes me hate the sound. Its a big relief that the people in the adjacent quarters [ in the loo] don't join in the chorus with background music! [ now say 'ewwww' ]

Another tauschie, who sat beside me in the Corporate Restructuring class wanted me to call the guy sitting in front of me, as he happened to be her groupmate. Instantly it struck me that this was the same guy I was warned about as being happy. I mean, its ok to be happy, but I don't want to share any of 'that' happiness. I did as she asked me to. Two minutes later, she repeated her request, and I told her that it was enough. Already the guy was beginning to eye me with amorous eyes. Any more pen poking and who knows what he might construe next!

Yet another tauschie eats with such a truimphant earth-shattering noise that you can accurately figure out which teeth he is using and what stage of the chewing process is currently on. In fact, his mouth is wide open like a hippo's, so you can verify your estimates by looking at the gaping chasm. It is difficult for me to eat when he's around, and I can only think of Chinese torture techniques as being a worse form of treatment than sitting beside him and eating.

Its an irony that suddenly the weather here has become cold, and the schedule has become hot. Double whammy!
I sometimes wake up in the morning with the usual lethargy of a tauschie only to realise that I have my time from 9 to 5:30 booked for lectures. The lunch in the student menza only adds to the trouble, what with all the pork and potatos that look as miserable as they taste. Probably the pig had typhoid when they cut it. May be potato blight. Whatever.




from The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini : [ a link ]
...
And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.
...
"Do you want me to run that kite for you?"
"For you, a thousand times over."
...

No comments: