Tuesday, July 25, 2006

in Gujju hinterland?

Its been a happening day! Somethings that don't often happen, happened today.

-Strato was wide awake past 5 [ actually past sunrise as well ! ]. In the series of idle banters, this must have been the most idyllic. I mean, the peacocks and other avian species didn't start their usual mating calls at 5. I was learning to pester people with pointed questions that stung like constipated bees. And I was also able to hold my stinky PJs back... I mean, that IS legendary!

-I missed my breakfast and two successive lectures after that. I had put on the alarm but forgot to switch on the speaker! Reminds me of my frequent nightmare in which I see myself dressed immaculately in the upper half. I actually see myself tying a good knot { for a change } on one of those silk ties I always want to wear. And then it dawns... There's nothing in the name of lowers. Finding myself in a situation more embarassing than dropped pants and more conducive to running, I sprint away...

-For the first time after coming to Gujarat, not knowing Gujarati made me feel like a French in Kerala.
I reach the collectorate office to get some work done. I go straight to the well-meaning pan-chewing guy.
PCGuy: Ibrik Gabrik bank maa jao che.
Me: blank stare
PCGuy: Some harappan sounds with an indication towards his left
Me: kya???????
PCGuy: Ibrik Gabrik bank bola na baba.
Me:

Was it his chewing, my hangover from last night's conv or just plain bad luck?
Ibrik Gabrik bank turned out to be Nutan Nagrik Bank. It wasn't any better there! The receptonist chose to communicate with signboards. The first signboard, in chaste Gujju, almost resembled "Goto Hell". I gawked at him. He brought the board closer to my eyes, probably thinking I had forgotten my spects. I gave up.
Then I decided to confront him.
Me: "Ismein likha kya hai?"
R: "Arrey, gujarati nahi aati kya?"
Me: "Nahi"
R: "Neeche jao" [with a look that instantly executed me on the electric chair!]

Oh, so that was it. Neeche jao. Go downstairs. Why did it appear so devillish in Gujarati? Or was it his gesture of refusing to talk?

No comments: