Thursday, August 03, 2006

He will catch up with me.

The guy who studied in the school in which my mother taught. Since I was the-convent-school-going child and this was a govt. school, I was allowed to boss around. At a tender age of 9, I replicated the behaviour of my classteacher.

"Hey you, tum shant kyun nahi baithte?"
"Shut up!"

Any violation of my tyrannical orders were duly reported. There was a boy who was too oversized for his class. Also too big for me. But I used to get back at him by complaining about him. He would often get punished when I was minding the class.
He passed out of the school, and became a gully-ka-dada.
Once he tried to corner me when I inadvertently took a shortcut which passed through that gully. I looked around and very cleverly called out to the first grown up person that I saw. That person turned out to be his father. Once again, I was the reason for his being sized up.
I am sure he must be having mighty grudges against that thin, stupid madam ka bachcha!
I hope I have changed enough not to be recognized. Otherwise he will bring about those changes in a much more painful way!

But today, something reminds me of him. Surprisingly, the same thought also reminds me of Sweety. Both of you have a lot of unrecovered dues, I know. But I hope you will also understand that it was a different time when all that happened. Much water has gone down the toilet flushes. Much more time has passed.

In the meanwhile, hopefully, I have grown up. Learnt my lessons. So Mister X, I never did that thing again. I tried to make friends among the students in that school. Remember Arjun? I don't know what he does now. Probably works somewhere. Might even be married. But I enjoyed his company. Remember that cute litle girl? I have even forgotten her name. She must surely be married by now. May be, even has kids. Two twins as cute has her, perhaps.

Sweety, I have learnt some lessons. I made you so many promises, didn't I? I/you/we saw those dreams that now feel like shards of broken glass. But then again, I think we had our share of joys as well. Joys, I might never talk to anyone about. For they are still ours. I still fiercely guard those jokes, those pranks and all the code language we used. You and I shall move on. In our own degress, we already have. I just wish this experience enriches the rest of our lives in the way it made our past memorable.
I also hope you won't stop trusting people. Remember once you scolded me for insulating myself from human feelings? How you convinced me that if I have to live this life, I might as well live it with all its embellishments! How you showed to me that one incident should not be enough to think the past was worthless or the future is hopeless.
I hope you remember those words and have acted on them yourself.
I will live my life, I will enter into new relationships, I will probably realise some of my dreams. But you shall never become an ordinary person for me. Because all that I learnt, in your vicinty and in the parting , has left me more capable of taking on life.

But I am still afraid of that guy. The gully ka dada. . .

No comments: