Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pavlov, my Master!

Pavlov, my Master!
Today, how much I remember you.
Boww Boww.
I always thought conditioning was the stuff of laboratory experiments, except when prefixed with air or hair. But for so long now, every Montag, Dienstag und Wednesday, at 10:10 am, I see the magic of your theory.
[ Yes, I am learning Business German, but I can't even remember all the days of the week! ]
I enter the laboratory hall no. 2 at 10:10 am. I start the experiment with a strong conviction that I will prove you wrong. But the moment I hear those beautiful, melodious and soporific words, I go off to a deep slumber. So deep that I don't care about which way my tail is wagging. Whether it is cleaning my chair or my neighbour's.
Now, in fact, even the thought of hearing those words makes me so sleepy. Someone tell me why they still sell sleeping pills. On second thoughts, probably the suiciders of the world still need those. But none else does. Be there in lab hall 2 to understand why.
I walk out of the hall looking and feeling so dazy, people pat my back and I don't register. Probably my nerve cells go to sleep. I even fail to notice the meaty bones coming out of the nearby lab hall. I just stand and gawk.
===
OK, I think I have spewed enough non sense on you. And I am sure the point has been driven home in a red Ferrari. I sleep in that lecture, very unashamedly. And I do it every single day. I hate to do it, and its not at all related [mostly] to the fact that I hate to sleep before 3 am so long as I can. But it is one of those bugaboos. And there's very little of that course left, so I don't care so much. I have that liberty because even the proff does not mind my head going on a 360' drive.

It bewilders me to see what kind of men and women these so-called elite institutes are churning out. Men with egos the size of Eiffel Tower. True, some of these people possess probably the sharpest brains in Vastrapur [may be, even Amdavad] , but that doesn't give them the licence to be rude. A particular friend of mine complains that the proff shouldn't have pained him for coming late to the lecture. He even said he was doing the proff a favor by going to his lecture. What an unfounded statement that is! How it smells of oedema! Numerous other instances abound, but you get the drift, don't you?
And its not just true of Business schools. Back at IITK, I knew of a friend who wouldn't consider making friends with people who weren't IITians. They are stupid by definition, she opined. How bombastic. [Sorry dear friend, for saying this!]

Sometime back, I was eating at a nearby eating joint. In the seat behind us, there was a group of girls. Now, since both of us, me and CoffeeMate are not gay, we found it an interesting idea to listen to the conversation they were having. Not that we had to strain our ears. In the typical Gujju style, their decibel levels were shooting off the roof. One girl said, " Yeh IIM wale hote hi hain proud, pata nahi kya samajhte hain apne aap ko". I pondered about this for sometime. CM wouldn't agree, but I allowed for the possibility that some things we unknowingly do could give others this impression. Especially since most of the time we don't seem to be bothered about all the hype and hoopla that media creates about anything related to IIMA.
Today, as I remember that statement, I agree with you lady.
We as a community, often are proud and egotist.

These elite institutes churn out brilliant managers and engineers. I wish they could also churn out good human beings.

No comments: